Friday, May 3, 2013

Language Assistants at the school


Read about Catherine and Nicole, the two Language Assistants that our school is presently hosting. 
 " Hi! My name is Catherine and I am working with 5th and 6th grade, 1st of ESO, 4th of ESO, 1st of Bachillerato, and 2nd of Bachillerato classes. I was born and raised in Los Angeles, California. After graduating from high school, I moved away from home to attend the University of California in Santa Barbara, where I study Spanish literature, psychology, and education. I am currently a third-year undergraduate student, and I decided to finish off this third year by studying abroad in Barcelona. I arrived here in January and am now taking Spanish literature and psychology classes at the University of Barcelona. However, my true passion lies in education, which is why I want to be a teacher in the near future. I chose to do this internship to continue doing what I love to do—teach—and to see how the education system works in a different country. And I am so excited to be here!"
" My name is Nicole Garro, I am 20 years old, and was born in California, United States. I am a third-year college student at the University of California, Santa Barbara. I am a psychology major and will graduate with my Bachelor’s degree in June 2014. I am currently studying abroad in Barcelona for spring semester to be able to experience a new culture and study psychology in another country. I chose Barcelona because of its beauty, its location, and its language. I didn’t come to learn Spanish; I am a native Spanish speaker because my parents are from Argentina, but I wanted to live in a country where I was surrounded by Spanish outside my home. I am not studying Spanish here; I am studying psychology at the University of Barcelona. My goal is to graduate with a master’s degree and become a psychologist in California. As part of my study-abroad experience, I am interning with the colegio, Sant Josep Teresianes, as an English teacher. This internship is important to me because it gives me a chance to hold a leadership position within the environment that a school psychologist would work in. I also have been able to form personal bonds with the students and teachers. I share my American culture with the students and staff and, in return, I gain a better sense of Spanish culture than that which I would receive in my university courses."

No comments:

Post a Comment